Marathon Recap

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 8.01.11 AM

2nd Marathon Completed

here is my recap of the race weekend.

Saturday night

I packed my after race bag, and layed out my race clothes, plus packed my race day essentials.

  • -flip belt
  • -watch
  • -headphones
  • -Gatorade gummies
  • -Jolly ranchers


  • 5:00-first alarm
  • 5:20-finally get up, make coffee, got dressed
  • 5:45-putting final items in the car, starting waking up the husband
  • 5:55-put sleepy kids in the car
  • 6:05-on the road
  • 6:30-pit stop bathroom
  • 7:15-reached running partners apartment, last-minute checking before they bring us to the start
  • 7:30-reach starting line
  • 7:40- last bathroom stop
  • 7:45-start making our way to the start line,
  • 8:00-1, 2, 3-GO


As any runner will probably say, you get into a running zone. So I clearly remember parts of the run because of sensory, conversations, mile marker or pain. The other miles I was in a zone, just one foot in front of the other.

Miles 1-6 first large hill, this early in the race they were no problem.

Mile 7 another hill! But again early in the race do was able to tackle them no problem.

Mile 8 is where we saw our families for the first time. My running partner spotted hers first, I waved too but as we were turning the corner running partner said LOOK there’s your kids! I almost totally missed them. It was so thrilling to hear, “GO MOMMY”!!

Miles 9-14– Weaved our way back into town, Feeling good, BUT this is where I frist felt difficulty.   Being in the country with farmers plowing and kicking up all that dust was really hard. !

Mile 15-MUCH needed potty break also Strong cross wind. My kids were out cheering at several spots on the highway.

Mile 17– I remember celebrating with running partner that we have single digits left!!

Mile 19– is were I hit my first block, I was feeling a pain in my front right hip flexor plus my chest was hurting making it difficult to breath. I walked up a hill but told running partner to keep going. I walked only for a brief moment, still keeping her in my sights. I started to run at the top of the hill and caught up with her. At this time she mentioned her knees were in pain, so she needed to walk. I then kept running but she did catch up with me.

Miles 20-22– were through this beautiful nature path. At this point in the race we needed to be by more fans and not trees to keep us motivated.

Miles 22– hitting town again but only to take us out quickly for the last 4 miles.

Miles 23-25– is where we both equally struggled, mentally and physically. We took our turns cheering each other on, walking briefly, only to start up again. Some highlights of this leg was the ORANGES and GUMMY BEARS the fans were giving out. These were so refreshing.

Mile 25– we knew we were so close BUT still so far away. At this point we hit a head on STRONG WIND, this was very difficult for my breathing. It was windy throughout the entire morning race but we only met it for brief moment as a cross wind not a head on wind. This was really difficult for us. BUT as runners do, you hunker down and keep moving knowing the next turn will direct us away.

Mile 25.5-26 FINALLY making our way back to town. We are getting excited.

Mile 26-26.2-All I see ahead of me is a hill, and I immediately feel discouraged. I was now wheezy and felt a lot of pain on my leg. I told my running partner to run, I could tell she did not want to leave me, but I did not want to hold her back. I walked up this hill (which looking back is not really a hill but a small incline). The race official at the top said, “4 blocks left, you can to this’. I thought “WHAT, 4 blocks!! Hell ya I got this.” And I ran, I was not able to catch her, but I was moving. 4 blocks and I believe I counted each one.

As you run into the finish, you know there are people around but you are in such a haze, it sounds like a movie in your head. You know they are there but you really can’t hear or see them. As I crossed the finished line, I DID IT! Saw my kids and husband cheering. And there was my partner waiting for me, we were only 20 seconds apart but it was awesome to give her a hug and walk our way through together!

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 4.15.39 PM


Happy Running!








Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s